Friday, April 10, 2009

Depress-recess-flation

There have been quite a few posts recently about the depression/recession/deflation of the WoW economy and it seems that every one has a different explanation as to why it's happening. The one I tend to believe most is the simplest, which is supply and demand. Demand is low because just about everyone has maxed out on gear (whether it be PvE or PvP) and supply is high because players have nothing better to do than farm.

Well, that theory applies to Northrend quality goods. Another observation I had was that those same bored players are leveling alts which are now very close to level 80, or already there. As I have seen when on my "broker" (he's not a banker) my old world materials are selling fast and at very nice prices.

So, over the next week while we wait for patch 3.1, I'll be farming in Azeroth and the Outlands hoping to supply tradeskill leveling materials to the masses.

Once 3.1 hits, we may see better than expected price inflation for crafting supplies as players start running their alts through raids in addition to higher end guilds getting gear and patterns from Ulduar.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog, rorik... I'll put you on my blogroll. As someone who DOESN'T understand too much of the wow economy, i'll be paying very close attention. I love reading stuff about the game that ISN'T about THE game, you know? The meta-gaming and the economy and the peripheral parts of the game fascinate me.

    And, if you need any help, development wise, let me know.

    ReplyDelete