Thursday, April 16, 2009

The WoW Jones Industrial Average

The New York Stock Exchange has a stock index used to gauge performance of the market called the Dow Jones Industrial Average. I've been thinking that Warcraft needs something similar, so I'm going to try to create an index of the Alliance auction house on Bleeding Hollow. It will be called the The WoW Jones Industrial Average or "The WoW" for short. The Dow is an index of 30 companies on the NYSE and was originally a simple average of their stock prices. The formula is a bit more complex now but for my needs I think a simple average will do.

So, over the next few weeks I'll be gathering data and showing how I calculate my WoW index. I'll also be compiling a list of high traffic items on the auction house to use as the "stocks" in my calculations. I'll probably use Saronite Ore, heavy borean leather, a few popular flasks used by regular raiders, popular cut gems, buff food and Infinite dust.

Is there anything else that you think should be included in The WoW?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with Beer. Frozen Orbs are a good item to use. Also, Frost Lotus and Artic Fur...especially Artic Fur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.
    As someone who's primary has only just dinged 31 I haven't even heard of most of these.

    Does the low level economy just become completely irrelevant at high levels? Or is there any high-volume low-margin action worth the effort?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely make money on lower level items, mostly ore because I'm a miner. It really depends on what your competition is and how many people are leveling alts that are near or at 80 and want to train a tradeskill. A few weeks ago, since everyone was so bored with the game there was a pretty good demand for pre-lich king ore and gems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MomentEye:

    It depends on your professions. A big market is twinks: top-of-the-line enchants (stored into armor vellum), low-level consumables, etc are some things needed by twinks.

    Other people needing low-level items include people glyph-sellers (If they don't buy/make Ink of the Sea and turn it into lower-level inks, they'll need low-level herbs), people powerleveling professions, enchanters who look for low-priced greens to DE, actual other low-levels, alts, people who want to get as many recipes for their professions as possible (and buy low-level recipes they'll never use off the AH), people powerleveling rep (Runecloth), and pet/mount collectors who want as many pets/mounts as possible- that's all I can think of right now.

    You can take most likely advantage of all these low-level markets for profit.

    ReplyDelete